Albuquerque, New Mexico, Cap on Non-Economic Damages for Personal Injuries Confirmed by the Court

When plaintiffs file a claim against a negligent individual or party, they are likely entitled to claim economic and noneconomic damages to help them cover their losses. In some cases, victims may also be allowed to claim punitive damages for the harm they suffered at the hands of others. A recent supreme court ruling determined that the cap on noneconomic damages will continue, and this cap will not be removed as it had been previously mandated for decades. (1)

This cap is often required in lawsuits regarding medical malpractice. The fact that this cap is being extended and continues to be followed makes New Mexico a more attractive state for doctors to practice medicine as they have a lower risk of serious penalization in the event a mistake does take place. New Mexico is not the only state that sees the wisdom in putting a cap on damages many other states have put the same law in effect.

This does not mean that the patient’s rights are being ignored. All patients have every right to file a medical malpractice claim and also to obtain a significant amount of compensation for their suffering. They are still entitled to receive all the economic damages they lost so they cover their medical bills and related tangible losses. However, their pain, suffering, and related damages will be limited to a certain amount, so the medical professional does not have to pay an unfair amount for the losses incurred. It is important to note that if the negligence was gross and shocking then punitive damages are still also on the table.

When to Contact an Attorney After Suffering a Serious Personal Injury in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Once a personal injury is incurred, the victim will have to face a lot of pain and suffering. Those facing serious damages after an injury should speak with an attorney without delay so they get assistance with their case and so they are not left to deal with everything completely on their own.

Anyone who needs help with their injury case should get in touch with a qualified lawyer right away so they understand their legal position and so they are not taken advantage of by the opposing party. All victims deserve to be fairly compensated for all the pain they suffered, and the best way to get this compensation is by filing an application with the help of a qualified attorney on their side.

Get in touch with a personal injury lawyer at the Crecca Law Firm as soon as possible to get help with one’s case.

Reach them at:

3200 Monte Vista Blvd NE,

Albuquerque, NM 87106

(505) 588-5122

[email protected]


  1. https://www.ama-assn.org/practice-management/sustainability/new-mexico-s-highest-court-affirms-cap-noneconomic-damages


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *